Hello Friends -I have become concerned about online security lately and as we investigate and explore – I thought I would shared some information for you about protecting yourself online.
If you live in Virginia – go HERE to find out more about identity theft protection in VA
For different States in the U.S. – go HERE.
On this website you will find numerous protection tips on a wide variety of topics:
ITRC Fact Sheets –
FS 103 – Online Shopping
FS 119 – Direct Connections to the Internet – Protecting Yourself and Your Information
FS 121 – Prevention Tips for Job Seekers
FS 122 – Travel Tips for the Business or Vacation Traveler
FS 131 – Credit cards vs. debit cards
FS 138 – Social Networking and Identity Theft
FS 141 – Consumer Shopping Tips
FS 142 – Protecting Your Computer from WiFi Danger
FS 144 – Smartphone Safety
FS 145 – Smartphone Threats
FS 146 – Smartphone Privacy and Security
FS 147 – Risks of Mobile Applications
ITRC Solutions –
SN 13 – Protecting Information of the Internet
SN 14 – Protecting Your Online Identity
SN 19 – File Sharing P2P Software Safety
SN 22 – Medicare Card Tip
SN 23 – Emergency Situations and Identity Theft
SN 24 – Tax Time Tips
SN 25 – Detecting Scams
SN 26 – College Students and Identity Theft
SN 32 – Strong Passwords
SN 33 – Securing Your Home Wireless Network
Okay, and now getting back to VA:
Identity Theft laws in Virginia
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-186.2
False statements or failure to disclose material facts in order to obtain aid or benefits under any local, state or federal housing assistance program.
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-186.3
Identity theft; penalty; restitution; victim assistance.
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-186.6.3:1
Identity fraud; consumer reporting agencies; police reports
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-186.4
Use of a person’s identity with the intent to coerce, intimidate, or harass
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-186.5
Expungement of false identity information from police and court records; Identity theft Passport
- Identity theft Law – Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-152.1
Using a computer to gather identifying information.
- Spam Law – § 8.01-328.1
- Virginia Expanded Identity Theft Laws – Click to download the attached file(s): Virginia.pdf
Provided by ID Safety in partnership with International Association of Chiefs of Police and Bank of America
Security Freeze Law in Virginia
- Virginia Security Freeze Law
- Eligibility: All consumers.
- Fees: No fees for identity theft victims with police reports.
- All others pay a $10 fee to place the freeze.
- Effective date of law: July 1, 2008
- Permanent freeze remains until removal requested by consumer.
- Click here for instructions on how to place the freeze:www.consumersunion.org/pdf/security/securityVA.pdf
- Place the freeze over the phone
- Equifax – 800-685-1111
- Experian – 888-397-3742
- TransUnion – 800-680-7289
Contacts in Virginia
- Attorney General: Kenneth Cuccinelli II
900 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 786-2071
CRAs and FTC
PO Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
Phone: (800) 525-6285
PO Box 9701, Allen, TX 75013-0949
Phone: (888 )397-3742
PO Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834
Phone: (800) 680-7289
Identity Theft Complaint Input Form
FBI/FTC’s Internet Fraud Task Force